- Languages required English
- Open to remote working? Yes
Isthmus App’s focus is to empower people to build, join, and foster online groups for swapping.
Isthmus helps you connect with communities of people who love what you love, whether it’s sustainable fashion brands, vintage 1960s ponchos, maternity jeans, or an emerging designer who makes sweatpants out of old beach towels.
Find your group and easily trade clothes, stories, and advice.
For group leaders:
Forget the crowded social networks and unorganized, hard-to-manage threads. Isthmus App provides you the simple tools to create delightful experiences for buy, sell, and trade.
Set a monthly membership fee so your community can support all you do to curate, moderate, and connect them to items they love.
Issues we are looking at/solving:
People, especially Gen Z, are looking for tools and platforms to reform the old systems of how we shop and how we connect and communicate online. They are choosing access over possession and consumption and are reorganizing around shared practices, passions, and community, especially online.
They have realized the old fashion system isn’t benefiting anyone. There is the huge environmental harm and unfair labor practices —poverty wages, unsafe workplaces, exploitation of migrants, and more continue to be part of fashion supply chains. On top of these issues, there is a constant, overwhelming pressure for consumers to stay on trend coming from brands, media, and even people they follow on the large social media feeds. Fast fashion brands put out 52 “micro-seasons” a year. In addition, people don’t even like the things they buy in this more, more, more system. In any given year Belgians only wear 12% of their wardrobe. The Dutch only wear 29%.
A new system and reorganization of consumption and influence are emerging:
- Consumption – Secondhand, swapping, and access is quickly replacing buying new. Three quarters (75%) of 16-24 year-old Britons say they have swapped fashion items with others or would be interested in doing so in the future.
- Influence – People are losing trust in big brands, fashion magazines, and influencer-packed social media feeds. They are looking instead to niche communities for inspiration, creativity, and support. 80% of US Gen Z and 77% of Millennials say they feel better understood about their passions by people in their specialized communities than their Facebook friends. They think online communities better understand their passions than family and real-world friends too.
Message me for more information on how the platform solves these issues and empowers people to take consumption into their own hands.
Great to meet you!
I am a global product marketing, brand strategy, and business operations leader driving initiatives across sustainability, safety, and product growth. I am the founder and editor of the sustainable fashion site Thoughtfulflamingo.com, named one of Eluxe Magazine’s 11 eco-friendly bloggers to follow.
Most recently I was acting Global Marketing Director for Safety at Uber. I spearheaded the company’s first global safety brand narrative and global safety initiatives including the most recent US Safety Report campaign, as seen in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
My Uber portfolio over the past six+ years includes launching Uber Eats (the largest meal delivery platform in the world outside of China) on the original 4-person launch team, creating Uber’s $5 million sexual assault prevention program, developing Uber’s first human trafficking education commitment, and overhauling and relaunching Uber’s Community Guidelines globally.
Prior to Uber, I was a digital content strategy + UX lead at Ogilvy & Mather for clients Ford, SC Johnson, Kimberly Clark, and Jim Beam.
I moved to Amsterdam from San Francisco in March and excited to launch the start-up here with plans to scale to the US.
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Overseeing and owning the further development of the platform (the IOS Alpha version is currently in testing)
- Overseeing all changes in system architecture and design
- Establishing a clear roadmap/technological vision for the platform
- Leading all technology & product needs
- Partnering with co-founder on all business needs
- Someone with at least 20 hours available starting in September. I am open to starting part-time to see if there is a good fit and then going into full time.
You Are The Right Person If You Are:
- An experienced CTO who has worked with/set up successful start-ups in the past
- An all-rounder who is familiar with the entire development stack but who is also able to dive into the code if necessary
- Passionate about software and creating a fun, innovative platform that users will love
- An organized project manager, with a fun and creative mindset
- Someone who loves the thought of being able to shape the future of a product right from the very beginning
- An excellent communicator who is comfortable working / leading a team
- Share our vision of sustainability, reducing mindless consumption, fostering safe spaces/communities online, and want to be part of our exciting journey
- Committed to helping us build a great company and culture
- UX design skills would be a bonus (but not mandatory)
- Accountability: an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one’s actions while doing so with the highest regard for integrity.
- Leadership: able to influence others to follow you and lead the team to a brighter future.
- Grit: able to stick with projects and work hard through good and bad times. Can perform well under stress or pressure.
- Scrappy: Takes initiative and is proactively able to get things done with low resources.
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to drive the start-up’s technical strategy and have a real impact on the company from the very beginning
- Salary to be discussed – equity focus
How To Apply:
I would love to grab a virtual or in-person coffee to answer any questions and discuss. Please email me at email@example.com with a resume and/or link to your Linkedin and any further details you would like to share.
- Address Amsterdam, Netherlands